Pages

Friday, March 22, 2013

Spinach Stuffed chicken

I saw this "recipe" on Pinterest the other day and thought it looked  delicious that I just had to try it. Only problem was, there was no real recipe to follow, just the images. It didn't really look hard, plus I already had an idea on how I would do it, so I just went for it. Here is my version of:


Spinach Stuffed Chicken 

Ingredients: 

  • 4 Chicken breasts
  • Ricotta cheese
  • fresh mozzarella cheese
  • Tomato pasta sauce 
  • Spinach
  • Shake and bake  (no-name brand)
  • Oregano
  • Rosemary
  • Pepper

Prep time: 20 min
Cook time 1 hr. 

Step 1
First I smashed the chicken breast with a rolling pin to make them a bit thinner and easier to roll up.I like to put plastic wrap over them so my rolling pin doesn't get all chickeny and save a bit of clean up.


Step 2
Then I made the filling to stuff the chicken with. I cut up the spinach and I wilted it down in a pan with a bit of oil. Then I took the wilted spinach and mixed it with about half a container of ricotta cheese. I also added in my spices of oregano and rosemary and pepper to the mixture. Give it a good stir and mix it all up. 






Step 3
Next I assembled it all together.


I spread the spinach mix on the smashed chicken breast then rolled it up and secured it with a few tooth picks.


Then I rolled it in the shake and bake mix.


Place in Pan. (this is not the best pan for this. It was more like a bowl and while it worked, I flat bottom square pan probably would have worked better. It got a little soupy while cooking).

Step 4
I placed the open topped dish in the oven at 300c for 45 minutes. After the chicken was cooked, I took it out and spread the tomato sauce over the chicken and cut up the fresh mozzarella and placed on top. I threw it back in the oven for an additional 15 min to warm up the sauce and melt the cheese a bit.

Step 5
EAT! YUMM!


(This picture below was me and Jamie trying to be food photographers and staging the plate. Note the three pieces of lettice)


Overall, I would give this meal a 4 star rating (out of 5). The tomato sauce we had wasn't really right (it had sausages in it) and I could have beat the chicken a bit thinner to make for a more even roll.. I would definitely make it again though. 

(Sorry that some of the pictures are on their sides, I can't figure out how to rotate my pictures on Blogger...any ideas?)

No comments: