Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers Day

Happy Fathers day to all the dads out there! It's a pretty special day to celebrate the men in our lives. In my case, I have a few men to celebrate in my life. First and foremost, the man who is top of my list is Jamie, the father of our wonderful little man Hunter. Now so might think that I should honor my own father first, but I believe that when you enter into a serious relationship with someone, your parents and other family then become the "outside" family and your husband and son become the "inside" family, if that makes sense.

So let me count the ways that I love Jamie and why he is a great dad:

He's involved with Hunter. He picks him up from daycare, takes him to dr appointments,reads him books and gives baths.He knows how to do things like change a bum, prepare bottles, and how and what to feed our son. This may sound like "well duh" but you would be surprised the amount of men who are absolutely clueless when it comes to this stuff. Jamie is well versed in all things Hunter.

He cares enough to not give Hunter everything. You might think "wait, what?" but when we were deciding to have a baby, we talked about what kind of parents we wanted to be and the kind of children we wanted to raise. We both agreed that we wanted to be disciplined and loving parents with well behaved children. This means that we don't give in to everything that our child wants, only what he needs. Boundaries and respect for parents goes a long way in creating well rounded children.

Also to this point, I would like to say that I often hear lots of people say that they want to give their children more than they had growing up. While this may be fine for some, I had a pretty good childhood and I don't think I was ever denied anything that I needed and I never had TVs in my room, video games, name brand clothes, or cell phones(I know it was a different times, but I survived). I don't feel a need to give Hunter "more" than I had when I had enough.

All in all, Hunter is a very luck boy to have a great dad like Jamie and I am luck to have them both!

After Jamie, I would also like to wish a happy fathers day to my dad Larry, my step-dad Jerry, my father-in-law Tommy and my step father-in-law Don. See, I said I had a lot of men in my life to celebrate!

Happy Fathers Day!

No comments: