Pages

Monday, November 12, 2012

Melting crayons. Nailed it!

So yeah.

Have you ever seen something, on Pintrest say, and you think "what a simple great idea!" Me too. Except things don't always work out the way that they do on the Internet.

For example, remelting crayons. I mean, how hard can it be? You just remelt the crayons, right?

Wrong!

Let me walk you through my awesome craft job.

Step one: Get broken crayons

Simple enough. Can't really screw up this step. I took all of Hunter's broken crayons and sorted them by like  colours into a muffin tray. I put the muffin liners in so that I could remove them from the tray easier..or so I thought.

To be fair, most of the examples I looked up on the internet used those silicone trays, but I don't have one of those so I used what I had. Looking back now, I can see my plan was doomed from the start.


Step Two: Melt Crayons

Turn of the oven to 350 and let it warm up a little bit.I placed the tray in the middle of the oven and waited for the crayons to start to melt.

Of course, I was also doing other things around the house and I may have left them in for a bit longer than they needed. I wanted to still be able to see the different colours, but instead they all kinda melted together to make an ugly blob-o-colour. All in all, they were in the oven for about 10 minutes 

Yup, this is going perfect so far.


Step Three: Cool and Remove.

So after I took them out of the oven, I thought it best to put the tray in the freezer for a few minutes to get them to set up. Good idea in theory, but it didn't really work out too well. Or maybe it would have worked, if I left them in a bit longer? 

After about 8 minutes in the freezer, I pulled them out so I could get them out while they were still a bit malleable. I took a butter knife and ran it along the edge of the cups. This made the crayon cups crack up. I tried pulling one out and it did come out better than the ones I used the knife on. 

After removing the paper from the crayons, they actually didn't look too bad. Not like I had wanted them to look, but not bad. The only thing that I'm not really crazy about is the edging from the cupcake paper. I can see those making a mess the first few times they are used. Might rub them down before I give them to Hunter to use.


I would give this craft a 6 out of 10. Wasn't too hard, but I would do things a bit differently if I was to do it again.

Thanks for reading :)

2 comments:

Madonna said...

Lol, thats cute, great job! try some silicone ones, i hear they make it MUCH easier.

Stephy Johnston said...

Good I'm glad you gave it a try first! I've been wanting to do that one too but haven't got around to it yet!! Nice to hear the what no to do's first!! They did turn out pretty good still!